Thread: Container Size
View Single Post
Old September 24, 2018   #5
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Hi Zeuspaul. I agree with all you said. But do you think the production is as good in a 25 gallon container as it is in a 40? And is a 40 as good as growing in the ground?

In other words, will the 25 produce as many tomatoes, and tomatoes as the same size as you would expect from the natural ground?

I have hundreds of feet of 2 x 12 material that I used for raised beds that I took up, so I could make a container from that any size I wanted to, but wood rots, the bottom falls out, and, without handles, they are difficult to move.

The main reason I want them in containers is to start some indeterminates in a greenhouse and have them up and going with blooms and small tomatoes when it's time to transplant outside. I'm trying to avoid transplant shock. My experience is almost all the time I gain starting them in a greenhouse is lost by the delay incurred during transplant shock when setting them out in the real ground. I'm trying to get at least 50 plants producing a couple of weeks before every one else to get a head start on tomato sales by being the first in my area to have them. And 50 is about all I can grow in my greenhouse, anyway.

Thanks.
Don