View Single Post
Old March 10, 2016   #65
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Jess is sending me some GGWT Friday!

Thanks for stopping in here Oldchef. One of the main things I'm keying on is the one-upmanship between chefs. And unique stuff that I just don't see anywhere around here.
I feel like I can become the tomato guy because everyone else is trying to do the full veggie offering. I can specialize.
However, with 3 kids and a full time job, I do need to have some that are unique but that I can rely on for production and holding ability (great flavor too) etc. we will see what that is in my setup.
I guess I could do lots mores types, but i am concerned with overloading the chefs. One things I experienced when I was in retail was that you don't really need to offer as many options as you think to make people happy and to make a living.
Old chef, what is your take on that?
Would you rather know you are gonna get 2 boxes of GGWT every week, or 2 boxes of mixed uniqueness every week?
Or would it be a mix of both?
I guess what it comes down to is I'll grow what I know my chefs will buy and want. Anything beyond that is for experimentation and fun. And to occasionally show up and show them "something new and rare I'm trying"

Hello Pureharvest

The answer is Both...
Firstly to begin to use you, I would want to know of Consistency. What can you promise to bring me weekly or twice a week. I need to plan menus. It's not as important if it is GGWT or Earls's Faux etc.. Most chefs won't know the names anyway. They would know that you would be providing a "slicer" That same goes with any type. Just using a slicer as an example.

Then if you had a special something of a different type- that would be great. Chefs love delicious surprises.

Keep in mind different cuisines utilize different sizes. Steakhouses use slicing while Italian could use a ton of cherries for pasta. New American has a lot of flexibility Etc...

I would key on the most expensive restaurants in town. If you can tell me where you are, maybe I can possibly give you a list of chefs or restaurants that would be worth the while. Top quality-Top price

PS that pesty Perslane is becoming quite popular in New York. Don't tell it's your weeds

Old Chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote