View Single Post
Old April 11, 2013   #76
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

Here's what's evolved over time:

Take an Aluminum soda or beer can, cut the ends off. Trim the ragged edges so you don't cut yourself. Flatten the sheet of metal by pulling the bend opposite over the edge of a table, or something similar.

Cut the shape and size of labels you want. If I'm doing a graft, I cut them sort of "dog tag" shape and tie that on with a loop of copper wire. If I'm putting them in pots, I cut them long and thin so I can stick them in the soil, with a pointed end.

Find a good ball point pen. Make sure it has a metal collar around the point so it will last. First I make sure to scribe a line down the point to hold it stiff on an old newspaper. I use the newspaper because the inner tube has too much give.

Using a piece of old Tractor/trailer innertube (ask for dead ones at your local Tractor/trailer repair shop), I hold the aluminum down and write, pressing hard, the name, when it was started, and how many days to maturity.

Turn it over and run the round part of the pen over it to flatten. The great thing about this method is the metal holds the shape of the letters forever. It doesn't rust, it's light and I can make them any size I like.
CapnChkn is offline   Reply With Quote