View Single Post
Old January 28, 2017   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I've discovered that Winter Red is no longer available, nor is Early Cascade F1 with the disease resistance (the OP version may or may not retain any disease resistance). I've never tried either but would if they were still around.

I also recall folks saying that Sheriff was a good-tasting storage tomato, but I can't find that one, either.

Good stuff lost, alas.
I think you mean this one,not Sheriff.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Zhiraf

To me the word extinct is a relative term since probably someone somewhere has it. When I look at the names in the link above I think one of them may probably still have it. I could look in my SSE Yearbook to check but right now it's too dark to do that here by my computer.

BUT,the problem with many,myself included is that old seeds are difficult, often impossible to germinate.

Tania has asked me several times if I have this or that b/c seeds she got from elsewhere were no good,so I send her what I can with fingers crossed.

If you really want the Zhiraf one why not ask for it in the Wanted sub seedForum.

And yes,I've grown it, but for a storage variety I'll go for one of the many de Colgar Spanish ones. But to be honest,personally I have little to no interest in longkeeper varieties.

Carolyn