View Single Post
Old September 18, 2015   #2
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Planted my sp this yr, put down black plastic first. Read that it helped warm up soil and keep sp from rooting all over creating too many small sp. Have drip system under plastic. Now I am hoping I've done the right thing with the plastic. Some sp varieties tubers are very close to top of soil. I put row cover on top the other day to keep heat in as we are starting to cool off. Now we are having a lot of rain, so I am worried that the large amt of water will sit on the plastic and create a problem. I want the tubers to put on bulk in the next month. So, should I rip holes in the plastic to drain the water. I am somewhat nervous about this harvest as the last 2 Yrs were not really successful sp Yrs for me. Any input on my methods will be appreciated. Thanks!
I would be interested in knowing also. I wish you the best with your sweet potatoes, and hope you keep us informed of your harvest and post a few pictures.

I planted some sp this year also. This is my first year growing them and I did not use black plastic, although maybe I should have. We had a light frost last Saturday, and half my plants turned brown. I decided to dig them up because my husband wants to work up the soil now that my potatoes and tomatoes are finished. I had some small sweet potatoes, but I was still impressed I got any at all. The vines did run underground and all around. We had a long heat wave and I had a hard time trying to keep everything watered. I am not sure if I will use the garden space to plant them again, but I might grow a few in a large raised bed and properly take care of them next time.

Here is a partial picture of my sp harvest.. Hope you don't mind me posting..

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; September 18, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote