View Single Post
Old February 27, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes in our enthusiasm we forget how little the general public knows about peppers, tomatoes or anything else for that matter.
When I was giving the tomato plants to the friend of mine the other day she told me she didn't want any wild exotic tomatoes.
She is in her 60's and has gardened all of her life.
She did know about Fresno peppers for some reason and liked them and she took a plant home with her.

This is my take on it and what I have seen.
Nurseries sell more selections than big box stores because people that go there like plants and are more apt to buy things you dont normally see.
Big box stores have a team of figure heads sitting around thinking about money and sales.
They dont really care if you cant find your favorite plant there.
The grocery store HEB more or less sells the same peppers that they sell in the store.
The young man that runs the outside department plant and garden section at the store I had a talk with the other day.
He is from Washington state and was raised on an apple orchard.
He has a suppler he can order from and he is the one in charge of ordering things.
I have to say it was a breath of fresh air to see someone care about what trees they ordered and made sure the chill hours were correct for our era.
The other man that helps him knows about plants and trees too and both can answer any questions.
But they do have to order things that will sell.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote