View Single Post
Old March 14, 2017   #24
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, crossing is much higher with peppers, I started growing lots of peppers never bagged b'c I found out very quickly that isolation cages were necessary, and I had no intention of making those isolation cages.

So I stopped growing peppers. But before that I had grown a few that came true, family ones where the seeds were given to me.

Last time I looked they were still listed in the SSE Yearbook, and we're talking maybe 30 years ago when I was still growing at the old farm after moving back home from Denver.

Carolyn
You stopped growing them! Altogether? You could always just grow one kind of each species that isn't likely to cross every year (such as one C. annuum variety, like Neapolitan, and one C. pubescens variety, like Rocoto Aji Largo). Or, you could grow them landrace-style, where you want them to cross, and grow as many varieties as you want.

Rocoto Aji Largo is out of stock, but I have seeds (not a lot); so, if I get fruit I could save you some for next year, if you want. You need a pollinator for C. pubescens, though, I hear. So, I'm hoping I can get two plants out of five seeds, at least. It's the earliest C. pubescens variety I know about (C. pubescens varieties are often pretty late, like 120 days).

Last edited by shule1; March 14, 2017 at 10:48 PM.