View Single Post
Old August 13, 2016   #1560
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Kay - What dwarfs are you growing this fall?
Audrey - Also never had luck with NBD after attempting ??x # of seasons. Am trying again and I have seeds from different sources this time....
Ginny - Your tomatoes are gorgeous. Good to know that the container size isn't a factor so it must be other environmental conditions.
Ella / Ginny - It may be hot by you; it may even be hotter than Florida, but keep in mind we have 5 months of it!!!! < 65 days left before good weather.
Marsha - Are you starting later this year?

Larry - when do you start broccoli?
Barb_FL
65 days until good weather. You are surely going to make me feel bad. I'm just holding out for the 2nd of Oct, when the Orlando average daily high is 87 and the avg low is 70.

I have approximately 100 Castle Dome Broccoli plants, all with 4 leaves now but the stems are pretty spindly. I have a note to transplant them at the end of September but maybe I can get them in at the end of the 3rd week in September. However, as you well know they don't much like warm weather.
I plan to plant another set of approximately 100 seed cups 1 week before I transplant my first crop. Hoping for rapid succession of Broccoli crops this season all the way to late May. If all goes well when the weather cools significantly, hopefully with the 2nd crop I may squeeze the spacing down to see how close I can get them without significantly negatively affecting head size. I would like to know where the boundaries are.
Thanks for asking,
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote