Thread: Winter Reading
View Single Post
Old December 21, 2012   #21
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Interesting article Scott. I don't think they said, but I am wondering in any of the 1950's vintage seed from the seed bank is still viable. If it is, they could grow some of it and see how similar it is to the original description of Rutgers. Is the objective to produce a Rutgers similar hybrid or is it their intent to produce an open pollinated Rutgers using the original parentage?

Ted

They obviously didn't say directly, but they did imply. I suppose to know for sure you would have to get a more detailed explanation from the breeders.

But it appears to me, if I an understanding their thinking correctly, they want to recreate the original Rutger's OP variety as close as possible by using more than one technique. IE....both by recreating the original cross and selection process and by possibly breeding back to the oldest available Rutgers viable seeds they can obtain.

Oh and BTW it is a similar thought that I have had for a long time. So it is possible I am projecting my own thought process here, rather than correctly reading them.

But once you have as close as possible the original OP again....the ability to then recreate the "improved Rutger's" disease resistance and determinate versions without loosing the flavor can be attempted. Also it can be used to recreate any of the many hundreds of commercial varieties with Rutgers as a parent...but this time try to carry along the flavor genes too. The possibilities are many actually. Whether that is also a long term goal of theirs or not isn't specifically stated. But it is implied.

I guess I should be careful about reading between the lines too much. It is a fault I have. In my defence, no one is perfect!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote