View Single Post
Old February 3, 2013   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
I find lettuces easy to start in media, indoors then transplant. Had some trouble germinating spinach. I read something about starting them in cold to cool temps. Now I papertowel and baggie sprout spinach in the refrigerator, (about 2 weeks), pot up in media inside for a while, then plant out. I still start 3-4 seeds for every spinach transplant.

This is a link to germination temps as related to days and percentages.YMMV.

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

Oh yeah, have to use fresh seed, last years does not de well for me.
I finally found the solution to poor spinach germination. Use UltraSorb from Auto Zone to start your seed. I had nearly 90% germination from even 3 year old seed using the DE. I used egg cartons with small holes so the DE doesn't run out when bottom watering. I placed two seed in each bottom watered cell filled nearly to the top with the DE and then lightly covered with dry DE and let it wet then moved out of the bottom watering tray. Almost all of the cells had two nice seedlings in a week or so. Just clip off the weaker one and give them a little very dilute Miracle Grow with bottom watering whenever the DE starts drying out and when large enough just transplant straight from the egg cartons with no need to pot up. One thing to remember is to make sure you bottom water before you transplant and use a spoon to scoop out the DE. If you try to transplant when the DE is too dry it will fall away from the roots and transplanting will not be nearly as successful.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote