View Single Post
Old July 15, 2017   #32
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Yes CL, that is a great feature.
Makes it easy for my kids to help pick.
I like Albion better but I am glad we have San Andreas to mix in because they are bigger.
Bigger berries fill the clamshell boxes faster. That and they aren't that bad either.
The slug bait worked instantly. The day after applying, we picked 12 lbs and tossed none.
I picked 20 lbs yesterday morning. Even with heat indexes over 100 from wed thru Friday, we still had about 80 percent marketable yield.
I supplied a new stand yesterday and a third was interested in 16 boxes on fridays.
I'm now rethinking dropping them for next year. We haven't even hit the peak season of fall yet from what I've read. If I can supply 3 stands again next year and the kids are willing to manage the plantings, I might do it again.
Curious to see how the rest of the season will yield. Right now we are picking about 50 lbs a week.
I think fertigating once a week is key to keeping them productive and tasting good.
I'm applying the equivalent of 2 lbs per acre of N and about 8 lbs of potassium.
I only have caterpillar tunnels on half the beds. Would consider covering them all next year. Interestingly enough, we are not getting any rot on the uncovered beds and we've been getting rain every week. 3" last week in 2 storms and 1" this week in 2 storms. Not spraying anything either. Maybe the spacing we are using helps or maybe the fabric is magical vs straw or plastic. Or maybe we're just lucky.

Last edited by PureHarvest; July 15, 2017 at 06:10 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote