View Single Post
Old March 29, 2018   #29
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchant View Post
Sorry, I'm a little confused by this. What is "the pot"? Are you referring to the individual plastic seedling cells? And the surface being the soil at the top? And once I do this, what temperature dictates if the lighting should be raised or lowered?
I should have looked at your picture more closely, you sowed your seedlings in cells, not in pots. I stand corrected.

By the way you could start with much smaller cells and gradually increase their size. Professionals don't have time to do it but you will be able to correct legginess sooner, sow more seeds, have a safety margin and give seedlings to friends.

Personnally I choose a temperature of 25° - 27°C (77° - 80°F) to start germination, then drop to 20° - 22° C (68° - 72°F) or less if I want growth to slow down, but never below 15°C (60°F).
I place a thermometer on the mix till the seedlings are too big, then I hold it just above / against the top leaves, electronic thermometers are really fast.

You may find interesting posts on "How close is too close" http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...993#post691993
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote