View Single Post
Old January 21, 2018   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
As always some great suggestions and something to learn!
I have a tendency to experiment with "alchemy" so often end up fussing too much.
Bower, thanks for bone meal suggestion! I tend to stay away from it much as of concerns on mad cow disease and such but am probably overthinking that topic entirely. As much as I do not like "blue stuff" I agree with Cole wisdom, in the beginning stage it is inexpensive, easy to use and simple. For container gardening I too have difficult time figuring "organic" way of doing it. Soil is a different matter though
Must admit I didn't give mad cow much of a thought. But I have looked into the safety of bone meal otherwise, and was satisfied at least under Canadian regulations there's no risk of antibiotic residues, because it cannot be sold here unless it has been processed with heat levels that do destroy any residues of the kind (it is a steam process with specified temperature). This is why bone meal is approved for certified organic growers, but blood meal is not. The process is not the same, and it isn't clear whether drug residues are destroyed in the case of blood meal.

Both bones and blood are regular byproducts of the food industry, though, and the same screening for mad cow or other disease as in food can be reasonably assumed IMO. It is not like a "pet food" situation where unsaleable meat for human consumption is looking for a market. I wouldn't expect anything with 'mad cow' to get into that production stream, which comes after the processing for food.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote