View Single Post
Old February 3, 2013   #37
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Anne, I'm very happy to read that you're on an upward trajectory with your grafting trials. It sounds like you've really got the process down to a near science at this point. I also appreciate the great detail to which you've gone to describe your process.

Regarding my less than stellar grafting success rate this Winter, I want to place nearly 100% of the blame at the doors of: (a) inconsistent RS/scion mate pair stem diameters and (b) over mature seedlings with toughened stem "skin." I want to try and eliminate both of those negative factors and get back to the environment that I had when Marla helped me where I reached a 50% success rate.

I think I agree with your "leave 'em be" caution, especially early on right after the graft. I'm wondering what the optimal temperature is for the "hospital" during the healing process. I have a space heater (oil) in my closet (not the wisest thing, yes I know), and I seem to be able to maintain a temp range of 74-87F. I'd like to know if the 87 is too hot? Is it better to allow cooler temps during the healing process. I hope someone can chime in on that question.

I assume your suggestion to practice the grafting applied to scion on scion, right? I certainly don't have the spare RS seedlings to waste on educational trial runs, just too darn expensive and difficult to raise up. I probably should practice more with the scion-scion grafts, but I feel like it's such a shame to loose the beautiful plants. I'm going to try and find some welcome homes for the unused larger, vigorous scions. They deserve better than my hatchetteering, even in the best of causes.

Let's all continue to post our findings and results here on the site. We can all learn from each other's successes and failures.

Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote