View Single Post
Old May 13, 2011   #4
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Well, YAY! The pile beneath the hutches is sedimentary - oldest on the bottom - fresher on top - so it'll all get mixed when I shovel it into the wheel barrow. This plot is super sandy & acidic so I have spread hundreds of pounds of dolomitic lime & judicious amounts of aged chicken manure earlier in the spring. The holes are sooo sandy I wanted to boost the organic matter b/c not all the varieties I am planting have innate nematode resistance (errr tolerance).
Fortunately my friend who lives next to the field has rabbits who poop a lot it seems & he has generously offered as much rabbit & aged chicken manure as I want. I'm a little afraid of the chicken manure so have been skimpy according to my friend.

Another friend has offered aged goat manure - I just have to drive to it & load it in the truck. I suspect the goat poop would be the most benign but the rabbit poop is the closet & safer than the chicken poop.

BTW- did you know fire ants LOVE poultry poop? I was slinging it & thinking the stuff was mighty hot & stingy; then I noticed it was the little itty bitty fire ants biting my hand that were so hot & stingy.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote