View Single Post
Old November 28, 2013   #46
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
As I've been saying from the beginning there were two Stupikes for field growing and two for glasshouse growing as you just confirmed.

Abundant life listed the one variety just as Stupice, so Sodomka must have told them at some time it was Stupice and the name was "anglicized", as in writing it in English, if you will.

I also said that I received a pack of seeds from Europe, I don't remember who sent them to me, but it was Stupike rani ( not rane, as translated for me) and I couldn't tell the difference between the Stupice I had and the rani one.

You wrote:

Stupické rané skleníkové- analogical as Stupické rané.
Stupické rané skleníkové and Stupické rané aren´t varieties but only subspecies.

I think it might better to say stable selections, not subspecies for the following reason.

The genus for tomatoes is now back to Solanum.

The species is known either as lycopesicon ( cum) in Europe. or esculentum.

So we have Solanum lycopersicon. And sometimes as with Matt's Wild Cherry one sees S.lycopersocon var cerasiforme. Cerasiforme indicates that the stigma is below the pollen bearing anthers, not exerted as it is with about 50% of the currant tomatoes which are S. pimpinelifolium.

Individual known varieties of tomatoes are not known by genus and species.

They probably made the selections for glasshouse growing from selections that were less tolerant to outside growing where exposure to weather and diseases was a problem.

Carolyn
Stupice were not four (at no time). They were and still are only two – Stupické polní rané a Stupické skleníkové ! Because were only this two varieties could not Milan Sodomka buy four Stupices, but only two Stupices. Seeds of these two tomatoes are carried (shopped ?) more than 65 years still as Stupické polní rané and Stupické skleníkové, how it view on the picture (only colours of packs alternate). I began to grow tomatoes when I was on the University sometimes in 1966 year. We could (I and my parents) grow only this Czech varieties : Indeterminante (Sláva Porýní, Stupické polní rané, Stupické skleníkové) and determinante (Imun, Olomoucké nízké, Vrbičanské nízké)- granted varieties. We growed generally Sláva Porýní and Olomoucké nízké.
Next Stupices (Stupické rané and Stupické rané skleníkové) are only exhibits of seeds leid in Czech genobank (about 40 years) , where Andrey it read. It is not chance these seeds to carry from Czech genobank . That is way I don´t believe, that somebody have these seeds.
Vladimír
PS. : I have more information from book «Fruitage vegetables- 1968 » author Doc.Ing.František Vlček CSc the most authority on tomatoes in 70. age- manager of Research and Plant Breeding Inst. of Vegetables at Olomouc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23112013668.jpg (448.0 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; November 28, 2013 at 04:00 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote