View Single Post
Old November 25, 2019   #98
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

October 29th, 2019I just ordered a Jeanne Gooseberry - Ribes uva-crispa L from Edible Landscaping, yeah I know, I'm an addict.
The more I thought about the taste of the Goji berry planted on the retaining wall, I decided to replace it with another type of berry. I will probably tear out a fig tree and pot it up for my brother, move the Goji berry to the side and squeeze in the Gooseberry.

November 3rd, 2019

I Finally got my first frost Friday Night and decided to harvest the sweet potatoes Saturday Morning.
I had a few that broke ground and had a pale shade of green, I was worried about Solanine in the potatoes but doing a little research, I found that the potato is in the night shade family and is not the same as a sweet potato that is in the Morning Glory Family. Fun Fact, the Yam is in the Lily Family.
Depending on how these cure and store, I may plant 9-12 slips next season.

replace it with another type of berry. I will probably tear out a fig tree and pot it up for my brother, move the Goji berry to the side and squeeze in the Gooseberry.

November 8th, 2019

The last few days we have gotten hard frosts, 25°F-28°F. The Poblano plant was totally wilted.
I harvested all the peppers and roasted.
Peppers were peeled best I could and I used the trimmings as a broth with some added liquid smoke, garlic and some salt, this was be the brine when canning.
Canned two batches of two pints each, one batch was the larger poblanos roasted and peeled and the other batch was the smaller chopped peppers.
I chopped the smaller ones because peeling them was near impossible.

The last two tomato plants were torn out, I salvaged one tomato. I also got a few Bell peppers and Jimmy Nardello peppers.
Winterized the ponds, put a fluorescent light next to the rosemary and covered with some mulch
My Fig trees are dropping their leaves.
Marigold and mums have died back.

The Kohlrabi and Bok Choy are coming along nicely.

November 19th, 2019

My sweet potatoes are still curing, here are two store bought ones next to my home grown ones, can you tell which is which?

My Gooseberry plant came in on the 13th so I planted that before my trip to Trap Pond.

Laura made some Leek Potato soup from the garden for the trip.

November 22nd, 2019

Finaly got a chance to cut down my Maypop Jungle.

I love the Maypops for pollinators but its a lot of work tearing out. I'm going to try and thin it out a bit more next year and see what happens. Harvested the Maypops for some Maypop Jelly, my dad loves it.

The cover crop is starting to die back forming a nice protective mulch. I chopped the maypop vines up to cover in some bare spots.

My Bok Choy and Kohlrabi seem to be doing ok.

Trimming the grape vine I found a little snack.

My Chokeberry, Gooseberry and Huckleberry plants are looking good.

My cheesy indoor plant setup for my Lemon and Lime Tree.

I'm a little peeved that my lemon tree didn't make it. The dam thing was struggling all summer long. I ordered a replacement from Fast Growing Trees.com, well see what happens.

November 24th, 2019

Wrapped my Sweet potatoes in newspaper and stored them in the garage.
Made some Maypop Jelly. More on that here..

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote