View Single Post
Old July 6, 2016   #9
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Do you have access to a microscope? Your extension office should have one. Kinda looked like spider mite damage.
I looked for some kind of sap-sucking pest. It's not spider mite damage. The leaves were totally, weirdly pristine when it came to pests. I looked very carefully. Also, the weather here has not been conducive at all to spider mites. In addition, spider mites would not have limited themselves to just this plant and not the one that was next to it and already intertwined with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
I am growing these this year, too! I have tried to grow these in past years, but this is the first year they have done well. I don't think mine have any spots on the leaves, I will have to look tomorrow. I probably would have done the same thing, better safe than sorry. I found a website that mentions some diseases these sometimes get, probably not for your area, but will give you more information:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/CropOp/e...its/mouse.html
Thanks for the link!

Most of the information I found and testimonials from other growers gave the impression that these are hardy, problem-free plants. I've found them rather disease prone. Though they are pest free. Nothing seems to want to eat them, except a Japanese beetle I found trying to chow down on a leaf.

I have a papalo plant next to these, and it's showing some signs of some problem. Yellow patches on the leaves, lighter, semi-marbled spots--although the spots are whitish and not yellow. Another not-well-known-in-the-US plant I'm growing for the first time which is hard to diagnose. *sigh* It's possible it reacted badly to getting hit by some of the fungicides I used on the mouse melons, as this plant's young leaves are very tender. I cut off a lot of the affected foliage and am waiting to see what happens. It's in the marigold family.

Last edited by gorbelly; July 6, 2016 at 08:22 AM.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote