Thread: Pole beans
View Single Post
Old September 3, 2017   #62
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago I switched from bush beans to pole because they were easier to harvest and took up much less space. I soon discovered that they produced all summer so I didn't need to pull them until frost. We prefer the French filet kind and found that there were some newer versions. For the green I tried both Fortex and Emerite and now opt for Emerite. I also plant one called Santa Ana from Seeds of Italy but will grow only Emerite after all the Santa Ana seeds are used up. Just making things easier for me.

The best yellow filet beans I have found are Ramdor but I have to get them from Solana in Canada. The next best one is from Renee's Garden called French Gold and are also excellent.

In both cases I have taken two pieces of 6 ft. wire fencing and bent each into a horseshoe shape and attached 3 metal stakes , one on each end and one in the bend. One cage is for the yellow and one for the green. Since there are only two of us I don't have to plant many beans to get a really nice supply. 5-7 plants each is more than enough and I give away double as many!

And as already mentioned if you keep picking them they will keep setting new ones! I'm never without a few of these each year in the garden.

Last edited by Gardadore; September 3, 2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typos
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote