View Single Post
Old November 25, 2015   #74
joseph
Tomatovillian™

This is the Harbor Freight 10' X 12' greenhouse. It was priced about 2 to 3 times what a hoop house with a plastic covering would have cost. It costs about half of what it would have if built out of 2X4s and corrugated fiberglass. To hold up to high winds or heavy snow it needs additional bracing. I'm planning on adding bottom chords to the rafters, and stiffeners above the doors and on the back wall. I expect to add diagonal chords in the roof to prevent twisting. I already added stiffeners to the base. I expect to glue and screw the glazing to the frame. The supplied clips don't hold the glazing in place during high winds. I expect to add lots of rivets and screws to strengthen connections. I expect to connect the windows to the frame with a short piece of chain to keep them from blowing away. The doors are prone to falling off in high winds. I intend to add some kind of positive latch to keep them in place. The last one I had, I bolted the doors shut if high winds were expected. I expect to do lots of caulking and weather striping to close up the host of air leaks. Last time I built this greenhouse, I spent as many hours on strengthening projects as I did on building it originally.

I really liked my first greenhouse of this model. So I'm building it again in a new location.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote