View Single Post
Old October 7, 2009   #14
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Well, here is the list, so far...

1884, western part of the state, along the Ohio River...in flood debris (at least that is the accepted info).

There are several derivatives of 1884...none are listed as specifically being from WV, but at least one parent is.

1884-Purple (SSE info indicates that it was from a 2006 grow out of 2005 traded seed)

1884-Strawberry Wedge (from 3 different plants from a 1994 grow out)

1884-Yellow (no additional info)

Aker's WV WV heirloom from Carl Aker. There are an oxheart and a purple that are listed as derivatives.

Cindy's West Virginia...from Wirt County, another western part of the state tomato. Interesting story...

Cosner from Braxton County, a pink

Dr. Suds Capon Bridge West Virginia heirloom, Maggie Keller saved seeds from tomatoes acquired from Dr. Suddeth, nicknamed "Dr. Suds", a Washington DC physician who retired to Arden WV, he got it from an older woman in Capon Bridge, WV and thought it worth saving

Germaid Red, from my friend Don Podolia, now deceased, who was from WV and said the variety itself was. Is available commercially (Family heirloom from West Virginia, available from a number of commercial sources in the 2000s. )

Golden Ponderosa ( see the SESE description on that one as to WV)

Hillbilly is commonly placed in WV, and from the number of nameless local look-a-likes, I'd say that was very probable. Likely from the northern/north central, considering this is where I'm finding them.

Homer Fike's Yellow Oxheart

Irish Pink

Mortgagelifter comes from the southern part of the state. Pretty good history on this one.

Mountain Princess, claims to be from the Monongahela Nat. Forest...but that is close to 1/5 of the state...pretty much the eastern part.]

Mountaineer Mystery introduced by Doug Zuknick

Paw Paw, a gold/red bicolor

Tappy's Finest other than this 'West Virginia family heirloom before 1948, originally from Italian seed stock' can't find much about it.

WV '63 (Centennial, WV Centennial), developed and maintained by WVU.

West Virginia Penitentiary, from same in Wheeling WV

West Virginia Straw

West Virginia Yellow

Yellow Cookie

West Virginia Pink Slicer, West Virginia Sweet Meat, Yellow Slicer *...(The Sweet Meat and Pink Slicer and Yellow Slicer were purchased by my mother from an amish greenhouse and I have saved seeds from them. The West Virginia part was added by someone else along the way. So I would not say for sure that they are only from WV but might be. For sure they are not very well known in other parts...these are probables, according to patty_b)
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote