Thread: Expectations
View Single Post
Old April 2, 2015   #13
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I am really surprised how early these plants are producing tomatoes, they are piling on tomatoes. I also have several EG plants the same age which have very few tomatoes, I just thought that was odd. They are all beefsteak shaped too, so far that is.

Other expectations fell short. The F2's of my Cowlick's x Bloody Butcher cross are not quite as early as the F1, all 10 plants, so I am going to reinsert the f1 cross back into the f2 to try and recapture the early trait. Does this make sense? I also have a Bloody Butcher x Dester F1 that is extremely vigorous and early, I am considering crossing it into the f2 of Cowlick's x BB. Does this make sense, since half the pedigree is BB which is the early trait connection here?
I also will just choose seeds from the Cowlick's x BB f2, then will see how everything falls before I start segregation. I do plan on growing out many examples of each attempt so I have a decent chance to find an early beefsteak-ish type of tomato that taste good. Yeah right! lol
I really liked the f1 last year from this cross, it threw a few beefsteak looking 8 ounce tomatoes, but most are round and about 4 ounces, not sweet, but very tomatoey.
I am new to the world of attempting the breeding of tomatoes, so everyday is a learning experience, and it is fun.
Thanks for the thoughts and clarifications
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote