View Single Post
Old March 7, 2010   #192
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Hi happy dog (great name....dogs seem to be inherently happy, and they certainly make humans feel that way!)

Hmmm....I am sure it would work with cole crops, though I've not grown broccoli, cauliflower, or cabbage in years....but why not?

With large seeded items like cukes and melons, I use the plug flats and plant one seed per cell - when I pop out the plug and plant, you don't get root disturbance - and I plant them deep when moving them to the garden.

Certainly no need to do it for beans or corn.

I've used it for all sorts of flowers and herbs. So, I guess there is very little that I've not, or wouldn't, grow that way. This year will be the test to see how beets do. I plan to fill up a 50 cell plug flat and transplant one beet plant per plug - this should allow for decent root development and minimal disturbance when they are moved into the final bed.

I leave the plastic on (loosely!) only until the majority of cells have germinated - and am sure to remove it and let air circulate several times a day - and flip it so that the dry side is down each time. Once the plants are up, they hold up the very light plastic, so air can circulate. I think that by using the sterile soil less mix, you don't get damping off - I get none at all!

One thing to note is that densely planted cells really do drink heavily once the plants get some size, so it is essential to watch that the soil doesn't overly dry out -you can loose very young seedlings along the edge to dryness.

I guess in a way it is a good technique for someone who likes to really get up close and personal with their seedlings - you can't really just plant them and leave them for days...I do something with them - observe, flip the plastic, mist, water - several times each day.

Some timings -

Lettuce/beet flat seeded February 21, most germinated by Feb 24 - plastic removed, under lights in the garage on March 1, started easing into some direct sun on March 5.

Pepper and eggplant flats - seeded February 21, most germinated by February 27, plastic removed March 1, under the lights in the garage on March 7.

Tomato flats - seeded February 27 and March 1, most plants up March 3 and March 5, plastic removed on March 5 and March 7, will likely go under lights mid this coming week.