View Single Post
Old May 8, 2017   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone, so far I get that I don't need to cover the pile so I won't bother doing that.

I definitely need to keep things inside that chain link from the wind somehow but can't find 1/2" hardware mesh. Where can I find that? It sounds like it might be my solution to my problem.

I am turning it with a pitch fork when I add straw to it, otherwise I don't turn it much. I always have torn up egg cartons, cardboard, paper towel rolls as well as used paper towels to add to it with the greens, so I think my green/brown ratio seems to be really good. The pile is decomposing really well and there is no smell. Oh, and I also toss in the water I use for the boiled eggs I cool for hubby into the pile with the egg shells crushed up in it as well. Coffee grounds from hubby's daily coffee go into the compost too along with any kitchen scraps. I generally fill the compost bucket with water before taking it out there to help things release from it.

I guess it would be called lazy compost, I didn't turn it for a long time when I got sick and it was anaerobic when hubby went out to do it for me. So, we went and bought some straw and pine shavings to mix in which worked very well. I also bought some composted chicken manure to add for heat. Seems all that worked well and it was a few months ago that I did that. It's been turned about once per month since.

So, last time turned was about 2 weeks ago when hubby went out there and pulled all the weeds out of the area that had grown in from the sides. He said it smelled just like dirt and looked really good in the middle and bottom. I think it's successful so far, this is my first time trying out composting.

Update:
Think I found the hardware mesh. Is it a.k.a. hardware cloth?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-R...x-3-ft/4780957

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 8, 2017 at 10:47 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote