View Single Post
Old March 8, 2018   #26
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I grew Salanova last year and followed Curtis Stones methods. My issue was that everyone else had salad mix and in Summer I only got 2 cuts. The seed is so expensive plus all the work prepping beds, starting plugs, burning holes in fabric, reconfiguring irrigation, trying to keep them cool, cutting, washing, bagging, weighing, selling about half of it every week . That said every place is different. I am using Landrace and wild lettuces this year. Head lettuce can easily be a mix. If I was going to get serious about salad mix I'd have to have a greens bubbler, a big spinner, and a walk in like Curtis. Otherwise labor eats into the profit too much for me. I also thought Salanova sucked. Taste and texture like cardboard. Could have been my fault though. I'll add that greenhouse cukes are by far my easiest and most profitable crop.
As stated, I havent tried Salanova, but in my experience, lettuce is, well lettuce. Full disclosure, I havent had the best luck with lettuce either. Maybe one of these days Ill learn other wise.

I will say that last year, the variety "Rex" did have a unique flavor. In my opinion it had a sort of Green Apple/Granny Smith kinda flavor. But then it bolted very quickly so that was that.

Vader, you and I are in a similar region, obviously. There has got to be an easy to grow lettuce that tastes good, and is bolt resistant. Be it heads or a mix.

I think its going to take trialing a bunch of varieties to get it right. As far as "Summer" growing. Even with constant misting, I dont see it doing well. Would definitely have to have a very well drained soil. Cause I can see all kinds of problems if not.

I would like to explore the Hydro setup I had last year again. But keeping the nutrient solution cool enough became a huge problem.

So in the end, I am open minded to both Hydro and Soil grown. Something has to work.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote