View Single Post
Old October 20, 2019   #29
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Barb, the seeds were from Johnny's from a few yrs. ago I grew last in 2018. The saved seeds from 2018 I grew this year and are what I remember as being last yr: very productive, good flavor, and decease resistant. I have attached photos of fruit and plant which I believe to be the Defiant phr Hybrid which is the F2 correct. So these saved seeds to grow would be F3's ? So the only way to remain an F2 is to clone?
Thanks
Pete
i didn't see any pictures but would love to.

You could have F2s if you didn't use them all. Otherwise, next time you grow the F1s, save more seeds from your tomato if they are as good. Since I'm growing it, I will save you some F2 seeds.

Was your plant tall for a determinate?

I don't have a lot of space for what I want to grow and experiment with, but if I know the F2s are good, I will save seed and I would hold off buying the F1s again. If you have the space, you can grow all 3 versions if you didn't use up all your F1s from 2018.

This is how people dehybritize the tomatoes, keep growing the next level Fx until it gets exactly what the original was. They save the seeds from the tomatoes that most resemble the original and keep going from there.

No one (including the big commercial growers) has been able to dehybritize SunGold yet. I had some volunteers that I let grow and it looked, smelled the same but the skin was chewy; nothing like the original.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote