View Single Post
Old May 27, 2013   #44
Poma_adoris
Tomatovillian™

All very interesting Scott, and so good for the world to the extent that people use natural / organic methods. We are not totally there yet on our 5 acres, but do what we can. I've been thinking of trying a white clover "sod" over some beds, do you have any idea if that would work for simultaneous weed suppression, nitrogen fixation, and soil building?

Clever buying bean seeds at the grocery, much cheaper than "seed" beans! The only downside for production might be in not knowing the exact variety, but for soil building it shouldn't matter much. As you said, any crop would be a bonus. Watch out for the presence of soil "peds" (little clods) in the beans; preferably, wash them. Soil, even dry bits, can carry a noxious pest, soybean cyst nematodes, and beans sold for food would not be required to be free of them.

Last year I went tomato crazy for the first time. I planted over 50 kinds of seeds, putting 5 seeds of each in 2-1/2" peat pots in organic seedling mix. I didn't know kind of germination percentage to expect. Not surprisingly to you experienced Tomatovillians, many gave me 5 seedlings, and I only wanted one for my garden. So I potted the extras into 3" Jiffy Pots with organic mix and sold them at the farmer's market as "mostly organic", no pesticides, etc. They were grabbed up, and going even better this year.

So that "justified" my further investment in another 50 kinds of seeds this year - better chosen than the mostly-random ones last year. And lights ... trays ... labels ... sounds like Master Gardener, eh? Too bad Russel didn't think to try a farmer's market. Even with competition from other vendors, those plants sold well. Most farm market vendors grow a whole packet each of 3 or 4 kinds at most. Instead of 50 each of a few kinds as they do, I offer 3-12 each of 50 kinds. "do you have 'Pineapple'?" Yes. "Do you have 'Roma'? Yes ... but if I'm sold out, I can suggest 5 other kinds, and they are often open to good substitutes. Sometimes I suggest an alternative right away if I have a better choice. Now I need to get more experience actually growing these varieties, so I can make a personal statement not just based on published taste tests and books.

I can personally vouch for the demand for pasture raised animals. A neighbor started producing eggs and chickens from heirloom kinds, mostly pastured and mostly organic. I gladly pay $12 for a 3 pound chicken. The eggs are only $2.50 per dozen so far, she could ask more and I would pay it. The yolks are amazing compared to even the so-called "cage-free organic" ones at the stores.

I have eaten only a few ounces of pork (at a couple irresistible BBQ places) and even less beef in the last 6 years because I cannot find local pastured sources. It would make no sense to me to have it shipped frozen for 1000 miles from "Neiman-Marcus" Ranch. About 95% of my calories are vegetarian which is better for me anyway.

Keep up the good work, don't be discouraged by anyone who implies that it has all been done already, it hasn't; there's always something new. Plus, what works in another climate may not work in central Indiana (or Ohio where I am, next door, so I am very interested in your project).
Poma_adoris is offline   Reply With Quote