View Single Post
Old August 4, 2018   #29
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

A couple of brief additions. I had a couple of Better Bush tomatoes last night. Stem cracks or not, it was one of the best-tasting tomatoes I've had all season! I'm going to investigate the stem cracking further, but I can see (again) why I've grown Better Bush so many times over the years.

Also, Better Bush and Coastal Pride Orange are true ISI -- indeterminate short internode plants. All the other dwarfs are behaving as they usually do for me -- basically as DET tomatoes. These guys are now nearing 5 ft tall and still going strong with good green foliage and good production.

Last, this year I grew a Brandy Boy in an EB along with Dwarf Purple Heart. The Brandy Boy "down-sized" to about half its normal size or less as it grows in dirt. The tomatoes are nearly full-sized, and I have 4 BB tomatoes blushing right now with another group starting to size up above them. OTOH, I've grown some IND plants that were full-sized (and nearly unmanageable) in an EB. Perhaps some varieties are affected more by container size?

Last edited by Greatgardens; August 4, 2018 at 08:44 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote