View Single Post
Old July 14, 2014   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpeppers View Post
Here in tick-infested New Hampshire (so many it has many thinking 'Biblcial plague"), there are doctors who believe lyme disease to be a 'myth'. Several folks I know are dealing with this 'myth', and it isn't pleasant.
I don't know of any MD's, or PA's or NP's who think that Lyme disease is a myth, at least in my area which is also tick infested, but I do know of some who don't believe there's a condition called Chronic Lyme Disease.

Just this Spring Freda who does my gardening and cleaning for me has been bitten twice and Angie, who gets my groceries for me has been bitten twice. What you do is to take the tick with you to the MD or whatever ASAP and standard protocol is two Doxycycline tabs and then watch for any other symptoms. Some have the standard bullseye rash, as Freda did a couple of years ago, some don't.If you don't know how to remove the tick let the MD or whomever do it for you.

A single tick can be harboring more than one infectious agent at the same time, such as Erlichiosis, Bartonella, Babesia, as well as the Lyme disease pathogen.

Yes, I used to teach infectious disease and the immune response to med students . Lyme disease is not new, but has spread I think, quicker than expected b'c of the life cycle involving mice and deer.

OK, I'm done now, and stepping down from the lecture podium to go get breakfast.

Carolyn, who thinks we ought to keep comments here about Steve and no more blatherings from Carolyn about diseases.