View Single Post
Old June 28, 2018   #46
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Minibel vs Balconi Red vs Maskotka vs Garden Pearl / Gartenperle
I've had these packets of red cherry micros/compact tumblers since 2014! But I kept getting distracted by micro yellows or pears or small slicers.
I have two plants of each under lights at the moment. The Gartenperles are already 3 times bigger than the Minibels!
Results are in! I grew two plants of each variety.

Gartenperle was pink (clear epidermis). Minibel, Balconi Red, and Maskotka were all the usual scarlet red (yellow epidermis).

Gartenperle was the smallest (5g), Balconi Red was larger, and Minibel was the largest (25g). Maskotka was variable - some fruit were as small as Gartenperle and some as large as Maskotka!

Everything was sowed on the same day, and I got fruit from Balconi Red first at the beginning of May, and closely after that Gartenperle, then aaages later Maskotka and then even longer after that Minibel - 2 months later than the Balconi Red!

Balconi Red was a true micro that didn't get taller than 1ft, with rugose foliage. Minibel was very short for months, and then suddenly doubled in height to 18 inches! It had rugose foliage as well. Gartenperle was a compact 1ft tumbler with fine regular leaves. Maskotka was also a tumbler with regular leaves, but it was 18 inches high and sprawled widely.

And the most important part.. The taste! Balconi Red and Gartenperle were too sharp and not sweet enough for me. But Maskotka and Minibel had exactly the kind of taste I like. Minibel had a little more flesh, and Maskotka had a little more gel.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote