View Single Post
Old June 15, 2019   #46
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Trying different things is great. I experiment all the time.

Telling people you're 100% going to get maximum yield if you do it [X] way is an oversimplification. Especially if you have an 8-month growing season in Wasilla, AK, which means it has to be a greenhouse environment and very different from growing in the ground outdoors in SW OH.

There are so many factors involved: climate, methods, personality/goals/priorities of the gardener, etc.

Try single stem pruning. Try no pruning. Try everything in between. See what works for which varieties in YOUR garden when YOU grow tomatoes.
We are in a support group that consists of thousands of commercial growers from not only the U.S., but in many other countries such as Australia, Israel, Canada, etc, etc. Some are growing outside too. Everyone makes tiny adjustments, usually in the feeding departments but general care remains about the same when you want the best outcome for the space given. I personally travel to learn better techniques, as well as management tid bits. I will be at cultivate 2019 in Ohio in July for more. We are not just throwing out OUR twist, but are sharing cutting edge methods that are tried, tested, and proven.

Of note, a GH has a piece of plastic between the plants and the sky as well as over head support. You can grow outside and still put up overhead support for stringing plants. Other than environmental aspects, it is no different. I do the same ideas outside as well as under the lid. Other than weighed results of methods, everything else is just words to me.

It is hard for me to explain in words physical aspects of a project, method, etc. I am always in a hurry. lol Lucky for me (right?) I have kept great photo records of different growing techniques I have tried. I will take the time to dig out photos of these set ups. Some real beauties are plants that had three or four stems, some unpruned. We got 39lbs from Brandywine, 50 from Delicious and German Queen, 30lbs per plant pretty easy. Howevvvver... they take up A LOT of space
Enjoy your season, I hope this thread helps.

Last...if your plants even stay alive you will get tomatoes.

Last edited by AKmark; June 16, 2019 at 01:56 AM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote