View Single Post
Old March 31, 2021   #11
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I tried to use some generic roundup last year as spot application on indian hemp here at the house. It snuck in a flower bed a few years back, and now is reaching out underneath. I was pretty careful to keep it on the weeds, I thought, applied on dry hot day, but a week later I found it killed spots of grass but did not kill the targets! Weeds can be tough, for sure.
Shouldn't spray when it's hot and dry, the plants are "closed up" and won't draw in through their leaves. Best bet for effective kill would be early morning when it's cool, or late evenings. They don't put that on a lot of the herbicide labels you get from the store, but on the labels on the stuff we got on the farm almost all of them said not to apply at over 80 deg F. As far as overspray goes, best bet is to adjust your nozzle to a very coarse droplet first. Then I shield around what I'm trying to spray with something like cardboard to keep the mixture from drifting to plants I don't want to kill. One great way is to use a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out, slip it over what you are spraying, and spray inside the bucket.
D.J. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote