View Single Post
Old September 19, 2014   #56
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
My neighbor from Oklahoma frequently talks about how much he misses "Charro Beans". Sounds like Pintos with some spices and maybe salsa mixed in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I eat them here in Texas not hard to make.

worth
The best Charro beans I've had were at Sante Fe Flats, followed by Lupe Tortilla -- both in Houston. Most recipes I've seen for Charro beans just dump a bunch of ingredients into beans and the beans won't have time to pick up the flavors. One recipe I saw that looked like it would really taste great looked like would take hours and hours to prepare. Maybe I can experiment and come up with something quicker, because to me they are so far superior to Refried beans.

-------------------------------------------------------

Someone mentioned Boston Baked Beans. America's Test Kitchen tried for 3 months to come up with a faster way -- they didn't find one. If you are he!! bent on making authentic ones, count on 5 hours of cooking in a cast iron Dutch oven to get them tender and correct. I tried their recipe and after 5 hours, you know what I found? Bush's Baked Beans are darned close!

So the recipe posted by Alittlesalt is what I consider grilling beans as they are baked beans doctored up with lots of other ingredients. My recipe for that is from a guy named Jeepdad. He makes these, puts them under the pork shoulder (pulled pork), ribs, or whatever other meat he smokes for 3-5 hours, so all the drippings and smoke end up in the beans. I have made this a dozen times and it is soooooo good:

2 28oz Cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - undrained
1 large yellow onion - chopped
1/3 cup BBQ sauce (any brand will do)
1 entire red bell pepper - diced
1/3 cup syrup - either maple or cane
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
3 tsp dry mustard
1-1/2 cups BBQ pulled pork (or rib tips, brisket whatever you have)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp smoked chili pepper (or whatever you have or leave it out)
1/4 lb uncooked bacon slices - cut in quarters (After 3 hours, add the bacon slices to the top of the mixture.)

If you must cut down the cooking time less than 5 hours, then put the onion and bell pepper into a blender with some water and puree it, then transfer to a measuring cup and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 5 minutes. Otherwise you will have unappetizing firm chunks of pepper and onion in your beans.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote