View Single Post
Old July 12, 2017   #41
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Scott View Post
I have started an experiment this morning using a spray of isopropyl alcohol diluted 50% plus pyrethrin.

I sprayed the stem of Berkeley Tie Dye that exhibits the most symptoms.

I also sprayed Momotaro, which I had given up on. I was just letting it ripen up a few tomatoes before I pulled it. The Momotaro had previously been sprayed at least twice with a pyrethrin/DE combo, with no good result. The earthbox neighbor of Momotaro, a CP, was yanked a couple weeks ago.

If it works, I will let you know. If the spray kills the leaves, I haven't really lost anything. The Momotaro is a gonner, and I will still have two stems of Berkeley Tie Dye.
I use the 10% Permethrin for livestock and vegetables at the rate of one ounce per gallon of mix. I also use 2 TBS of Dawn per gallon of mix and 3/4 cup of food grade DE. It has worked on all mite infestations but sometimes needs a second or even third application if the infestation is really bad. I have already had one infestation this year and wiped it out but I am sure they will return before long as the summer keeps heating up.

I have in the past used the canola and pryrethin stuff but found it had to be reapplied too often if the infestation was bad and got leaf burn in our near 100 degree heat. I also tried mixes with essential oils and various types of soap with some good results but those mixes had the same problem in that to be effective the amount of oil was somewhat hard on the leaves in the summer heat. I had the same problem with Neem and Neem and pyrethrin mixes. Before I found the mix I am currently using I had the best result by alternating and spraying every three days; but that gets really tiring and when you are spraying a lot of plants it becomes expensive.

The best thing about the Permethrin, DE and Dawn mix is if you mix it and apply it correctly and thoroughly to all surfaces, particularly undersides of the leaves, you usually don't have to reapply it more than once to control the mites. However knowing how easily mites can come back into your garden you may have to use it again before the season is over. Another thing I have found that I like is I can add some copper to my mix and get a fungicide application in at the same time.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote