View Single Post
Old May 12, 2015   #28
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
As far as TTF and Dynagrow (Foliage Pro). I have used both and in my head to head comparison Foliage pro did better than TTF for tomatoes. (more production with Foliage pro. I couldn't tell any difference between taste.) I use Foliage pro for my containers in addition to the organic fertilizer strip. In ground gets tomato tone/garden tone/ plant tone ..

This year both will get alternate weeks of fish/kelp fertilizer

So another question seems to be - is foliar spray better? For my containers, I plan to feed it from the water reservoir. For in ground .. have not decided
tnkrer - wow, that's great information. I am actually surprised that you got better production with the Foliage Pro, since it is a bit high on the N for a flowering plant. (I ordered the Grow formula which is higher on the P). But I like to know what the real deal is versus what we've always been told. Also kind of disappointing to hear it didn't affect flavor. I mean, I never tested it myself - I just took crusty old gardener's word for it.

Maybe we just FEEL better about applying these things to our plants. And you know what? I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing :-) As your name suggests, some people just like to tinker and constantly play around with methods. Others may prefer to go with what's worked in the past with a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy. Neither is wrong!

I will tell you, I have always foliar fed - but just found out on the TTF thread that perhaps it's pointless unless there is a specific micronutrient deficiency. Again, that's something I've "always heard" for years that may be just plain wrong. Then again, the seaweed has the micros - so perhaps there is something to a foliar application.

I have little problem with disease so foliar is ok for me, but maybe in some situations it can cause more problems than it's worth by keeping the plants wet?

Last edited by wormgirl; May 12, 2015 at 04:21 PM.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote