View Single Post
Old June 27, 2009   #1
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Does the world need another pink beefsteak?

Last year I saved seeds from my pineapple tomato. I saved from 2 tomatoes. I planted 2 plants from the pineapple tomato and I ended up with pink beefsteak tomatoes on both plants. They do not look like any other tomato I planted. These seeds were saved after hurricane Ike. The only plants left in my garden were Pineapple and Italian Tomato tree. I had 2 plants of Italian Tomato Tree that were potato leaved and one that was regular leaved. They are supposed to be PL but sometime throw off RL plants from what I was told. The Italian tomato tree is a red beefsteak. My Pineapple was of course RL and bicolor. The plants in my garden are RL and very vigerous and appear to fight the heat and diseases like the parents did. Shoot they withstood a level 1 hurricane last year.

The question does the world really need another pink beefsteak? Admittedly it is one of my favorites in the garden. It is meaty and flavor is balanced. Husband stated "It would be good on a hamburger." Also there are many posiblilities at the F2 level. Cross of a bicolor with a red. What color combinations would be expected? I sure was not expecting a pink beefsteak. What does everyone think? Should I try further growouts? And sorry to those I sent seeds to that were wanting pineapple seeds.
Kat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brin 1.JPG (67.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg brin 2.JPG (81.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg sliced brin.JPG (85.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg sliced brin 2.JPG (78.8 KB, 38 views)
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote