View Single Post
Old June 29, 2009   #11
travis
Tomatovillian™

"Cross of a bicolor with a red. What color combinations would be expected? I sure was not expecting a pink beefsteak. What does everyone think?"

First of all, have you peeled off some skin, scraped all the meat off the skin, then held the skin up to the light and checked the epidermis color? The reason I ask is that there is a faint hint of yellow in some of the pictures, and if the epidermis has a yellow tint to it, the tomato is not technically "pink." Of course my color perception can be off when looking at a picture on a computer screen, so check a piece of skin after scraping off all the flesh.

Next, if you indeed have a pink F1 from a cross of a red Italian Tree tomato x a red bicolor Pineapple tomato, then likely one of the two parents is itself an F1 tomato. I would suspect the Italian Tree tomato as the culprit since you said one of them is regular leaf and the others are potato leaf.

When you get a cross of an open pollinated variety with an F1 parent, you can get some variations in the new F1 because you've got a cross of heterozygotous genes with homozygotous genes. See Vince Chemist's thread about Cherokee Purple x Sungold for examples of this phenomenon.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote