View Single Post
Old February 20, 2006   #25
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

No, they go directly from the dense planting cells into 4 inch pots. I let them get quite large in their cells - to the true leaf stage. If I am getting behind and they are getting really crowded, I just pop out the cell and put the entire cell into a 4 inch pot.

Folks, these plants are tougher than you realize! I just pop out the cell, gently squeeze the root ball then tug the plants apart - sure you rip a few roots, but the plants do not mind. I dry fill the 4 inch pots - we have a system - fill about 150 pots on our bench top with dry soilless mix, then use our index fingers to push a deep hole in each. I ease the plant into the hole with my thumb as deep as I can, then shake the pot gently to bring the soil around the base of the plant - usually they are deep enough so that they are up to the cotyledon leaves or even deeper. I do this for peppers and eggplant as well.

Then they get their first watering with warm water, we insert the plastic identifying tag, go into basket trays, which fit 15 plants - then one more watering and they are good for their month or so tenure acclimating to their new enviroment and putting on size.

In about a month, the tomatoes are 6 inches or more tall. Peppers grow much more slowly, esp. the Habs and ornamentals, needing heat to really get going.