View Single Post
Old May 29, 2020   #12
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
It is variety dependent, but quite a few of these type seedlings will eventually produce a growing tip. The plant is viable, but usually too late to be a prime garden candidate. I have resurrected quite a few varieties by this method from old seed.
I planted some "Heshpole" from 2008 that exhibited a lot of this, and out of curiosity, got about 4/50 of the Fusion f5 from 2004 to germinate after a bleach soak. All 4 of the f5's grew into "deadheads", but one of them has just this week offerred a little sprout from between the (now dying) cotyledons.

I assumed it was the bleach soak damaging the tiny baby in the seed. I tried a few with a Peroxide treatment (different variety...Lycoprea 2007) and achieved a similar result, but those seemed to sprout a growing tip after only about 10 days.

Lycoprea is a very early, small rugose-potato-leaf variety that offers ping-pong-ball pink fruits. I put them in hanging baskets and gave them away to friends and family. All are blossoming, and one has set fruit.

I was very pleased to get a half-dozen viable starts.

Now that I have lost the point, perhaps it wasn't the bleach or peroxide soaks damaging seed...but just seed on the edge of inviability sped along by the soak.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk