Thread: Hot Peppers
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2012   #47
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Hot Pepper-Apple Preserves

This is the pepper jam I am going to try when I get my apples this year. Sounds delicious. We like hot pepper jam on a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. It's delish. Sue

5 cups sugar
2 cups water
8 large tart apples -- chopped
15 each jalapeno -- chopped

Pour sugar into a heavy 5 qt pot; stir in water til well blended. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes. Pare and core apples; cut into small chunks, to make about 8 cups. Slice thinly or chop the peppers. Add apples, and peppers to sugar-water mixture. Cook (boiling gently) over med. heat, stirring occasionally, for 35 to 40 minutes or til preserve is thickened and apples are translucent. Meanwhile, prepare 6 half-pint canning jars. Fill jars to within 1/8 inch of rim. Wipe clean and place lids and rings on screwing on as tight as comfortable. Let cool on a towel out of a draft; then press lids with your finger. If they stay down, they're sealed. Label and store in a cool, dark area. If not sealed, store in refrigerator.
Makes 6 half pints.
This is especially good with cream cheese on crackers.

NOTES : I used red jalapenos but I'm sure any hot pepper will do just as well.

Zana's Note: Ok, since by now you probably guessed that I don't consider jalapenos as very hot...so I have been known to kick this up a notch or twenty with scotch bonnets or something in between. LOL

Ooh, I have a bunch of jalapeños right now. I hope I can find the apples to make this with!
The corn chipolte salsa sounds really good, too.
Thanks, Zana!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote