View Single Post
Old February 16, 2018   #3
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Part 3

Well Hello, you're still here? I didn't loose you yet? Part 3 is where I'll get into the, "nitty gritty" of my entire gardening year and update this section as the year progresses.

All of my seeds have been ordered, for more information on that, go to my Seed Starting Page and scroll to "2018 Seed Starting"

• OK since the weather is on the "Cold" Side, I started some of my indoor stuff.

• Repainted and set up my Seed Starting area. Tweaked my planting calendar and cleaned up my storage area.

January 5th, 2018

• Maypops - Where the heck to put the Maypops, that is if I can get the seeds to germinate, I have read that they can be a bear to germinate. I found a spot out front by the butterfly house, but needed a trellis, so I ordered an obelisk trellis for them. I may also plant one on the side of the house between the Hugelkultur beds with the Blueberry Bush. The "Maypop" Trellis came in and I decided on a few mods, a new paint job and extend the legs for more length and better support. "Click here to find out more"
  • The wife unit wasn't very happy with the trellis being out front so we struck a deal, at the end of the season, when the Maypops die back, the trellis will be removed and stored in the back yard. Maybe I'll toss on some Christmas lights to dress it up a bit.

I ordered my Bare Root Grapes today from Stark Brothers, I went with the Reliance and Concord seedless grapes, they are due to ship February 22nd, so I got plenty of time to devise a trellising plan for them.

• OK Now where to put my grapes? The Maypops were going to go here on this trellis but I decided to put the Maypops on the other side of the patio between the Hugelkultur beds, not sure how well they will do there but I figured I will have Maypops out front and the grapes will love this spot, I get great sun in this area.

January 12th, 2018
  • Started the Maypop seeds.

• The concord grape Plant will go here but for a trellis, I am looking into using 12.5 gauge high tensile trellis wire and drop in anchors because I really don't want to crap up the wall. I mapped out the wall to get a visual. The piece of tape 2nd from the bottom will be raised two inches above the perforation in the wall.

The Reliance grape plant will go on the hill with the Rose Of Sharon, I'll cut the Rose of Sharon back even more this upcoming fall.

January 20th, 2018

• My Texas Tomato cages came in today, man the box is heavy. I setup one of the cages to see what all the fuss is about with these very expensive cages.

• 7 cages tops and bottoms.
  • Very sturdy and extremely easy to put together.

• What makes these things pretty cool is that the uprights are crimped in such a way that there is no weld joint, this makes them collapsible.

• Bio-Char ready to charge and sit for several weeks or more. That's not orange juice in those jugs!

January 23rd - 25th, 2018

Today I decided to swing by Home Depot and pick up two pieces of remesh for my Spaghetti Squash and Thai Purple Yard Long Beans.

The next day it was off to Lowes to kill some time after a Dr. Appointment, waiting for my better half to finish work for an early dinner. Rummaging through Lowes for some cages for my Eggplant Plants, I found four that weren't mutilated and headed home.

• I put some Maypop seeds in the refrigerator for 30 days then they will be planted inside, I also planted some Maypop seeds outside. I have read on a few sites that Maypops do better with cold stratification so I covered all of my bases.

January 26th - 29th, 2018
  • I had a Maypop POP!

• I started work on my drip irrigation. I decided to remove all of my emitters and replace with emitter lines. The problem was, the connections would snap too easily if I wasn't careful, so I decided on using emitter lines spaced 9" @ 1/2gph. Each bed will have an emitter line with a valve to shut that bed off, same with some of my planters. The two beds on the upper yard will each have 2 valved lines for each bed.

January 29th, 2018
  • Maypop

• Found a place to tuck in a Rain Barrel. I'm going to hook this up to feed my pond with a low pressure water timer and another line to fill buckets for manual watering. The rain barrel will be fed from my Bar roof on the deck.

January 30th - February 11th, 2018

I've been sick for a few weeks and am just starting to feel like myself so I tried to get some work done

I planted some Cabbage and Broccoli this week and last week, for detailed information on my seedlings go to my seed starting page here and scroll to 2018.

• 2/3 Dicico Broccoli
  • 2/3 Green Monster Cabbage
  • 2/10 Pok Choy
  • 2/10 Red Cabbage
  • 2/10 Waltham Broccoli

• It's been raining for three days and everything is just a mess, I did get out Saturday and fix the fence I had to put in 12" bolts and secure the fence posts to the bed to straighten out the fence. I also finished another bed with Bio-char and Rabbit manure/bedding

• The maypops are doing well, this must be a Male Maypop, notice the balls.

• I had a couple Artichokes pop through, Imperial Star and Globe.

• I finished up an old pack of broccoli seeds I had lying around, I got a few to sprout.

• Green Monster cabbage
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote