Thread: bleach spray
View Single Post
Old July 7, 2017   #205
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
After an early wet and cold start to the year we warmed up and dried out, and that was just what the doctor ordered for the tomatoes. Lately we have been wet and humid, I noticed EB starting on 1 plant and Septoria starting on 3 or 4 plants. I removed affected leaves and returned to the bleach spray--this time with Clorox--4 fl. oz per gallon of water. We may get rain tonight, but it is only a chance if the storms a couple hours to our north hold together. Rain or not, my plan is follow the bleach spray tomorrow night with either Copper or Chlorothalonil. The plants are lush, have lots of fruit and are loaded with flowers and I hope to keep them the most healthy bunch I've had in a number of years.

Also, Bill I've noticed a lot of dwarf tomatoes I grow are more prone to GM problems--do you grow dwarfs, if so have you noticed that? I don't have GM issues now, but it did hit pretty hard late last summer here on most of the dwarfs.
I do not grow dwarfs. I like big plants because I use the lower and lean support method and small plants don't work for this method as well.

Through years of fighting GM I have noticed that copper works better for preventing GM than Daconil but Daconil works better at preventing Early Blight. Sometimes I will use both fungicides in a week if I am battling both problems but usually it is one or the other. Early in the season when no diseases are showing up I will alternate between the two every week.

I am still trying to figure out which works better with each disease problem but some I don't see but every few years. I see GM and EB every year so I had plenty of opportunities to see what worked best on them. When I don't know what disease I am dealing with when it first appears I will try the bleach first and then one of the others as a follow up and see how it does.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote