View Single Post
Old July 5, 2016   #13
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of great varieties to research.

I'd forgotten about Uluru Ochre, which I considered trying this year. I'm sure I can find a container for at least one plant next year (I don't have a tomato addiction problem!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
My first one would be Earl of Edgecombe,hands down,an orange
The TomatoBase says this has a dwarf habit. Is it a relatively compact plant that I could try in a container? If so, I might be able to grow this as well as an in-ground large yellow or orange (no, really, I don't have a problem!).

Thanks to those of you suggesting Orange Strawberry as well. I may try that one because I don't have a heart tomato on my growlist, so that ticks off 2 boxes. Those of us with smaller gardens need multitasking varieties. I'm also curious because it seems to differ a lot depending on who grows it; descriptions from various sources describe it as everything from mild to sweet to tart. Has it been around for a while? I'm wondering whether it's not entirely stable, or whether it's stable but even more influenced by growing conditions than the average tomato.

But I have plenty of time to decide, haha. And pondering the growlist and doing the associated research is almost as fun as growing the darned tomatoes. At least it's a way to indulge my love of tomatoes that isn't dependent on the weather conditions!
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote