View Single Post
Old February 26, 2008   #7
Earl
Tomatovillian™

PNW_D, you may be right.

Here's a few that I've got started:

Lime Green Salad [TGS info] Diminutive plants bloom with bouquet-type sprays followed by loads of small lime green tomatoes that ripen further to amber. 3 to 5 oz. fruit is chartreuse inside and full of juice and good, tangy flavor that is somewhat spicy. This is a wonderful variety for growing in containers since plants stay small yet provide a big harvest. If planting in the garden, put these in front as an attractive border. Very tasty and novel variety. Determinate. 58 days.

Moskvich, Moskwich, Moskovich 9 Rare, 60 days. Medium red fruit from 4-6 ounces. Originates from the Kaluga region in Western Russian. A somewhat flattened shape and no cracking. Moskvich is extra early but you would never know it from the taste! Yes, it is that delicious. The plants are remarkably healthy, disease free with heavy yields. Cool weather does not stop this one! Earlier than Stupice. Indeterminate. The Moskvich tomato was brought to America from Eastern Siberia in 1991, it has an impressive hardiness, size and taste. The deep red tomatoes have a smooth texture and rich taste that belie its earliness. Fruits avg. in the 4-6 oz. range, and are smooth and globe-shaped with a small stem scar. 24"

Praleska: early, determinate red, introduced by Belorussian Institute of Vegetable Gardening. 3-4 oz. Good taste, 106 Russian days [from germination], meaty, round, very tasty, 12-15 fruit in a cluster, F resistant, Belarusian 24"/5oz/

30" Mano: [Brian Sanders info] 55 days, short determinate that ripened earlier than SFT for me. Tastes Great! From Gezain in Hungary. Mano, and Zomok both got about 2 to 2&1/2 feet for me last year, but they were grown in 12 inch deep by 12 inch wide pots. I'd guess in the ground they might go a little larger but not too much. Jennifer (canadiantomato), I believe grew Mano last year from seeds that I sent her, and she reported back to me about the same. They are the rugose foliaged true tree-type, (as Craig has recently coined it). They both make very tasty 'maters. Plenty of 'em too. I don't remember if I told you or not, but Zomok is a plum shaped 'mater, and Mano is more of a beefsteak type, but not quite as big. Brian Sanders, Oklahoma