View Single Post
Old August 14, 2017   #53
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I guess I'm lucky, my peppers have been disease free so far. I lost 7 plants due to straight line winds but that's it. The big bells that are doing well for me are Yellow Monster, Chinese Giant, Douce D' Espange, Etuida, Enjoya F2 and Big Bertha. I've never had any luck growing jalapeños until this year growing Biker Billy a hybrid from Burpee. They are big, productive and HOT.
I am making a lot of peppers so far but I am also experiencing increasing disease pressure with the constant showers followed by or preceded by 100 degree temperatures. I did lose a couple of plants earlier one to TSWV which I pulled promptly and one that seemed to be suffering from fusarium wilt. The rest are producing quite a few nice peppers but some are damaged by various diseases and pests. I am just trying to find a bell that is a bit more resistant to the constant disease pressure which is part of gardening down here. When we have a very wet summer like this year that pressure only increases and is much harder to fight with fungicides.

This has been my best year ever for Jalapenos mainly due to just one plant that has grown like a weed and produced like a cherry tomato. Surprisingly my Jalapenos have been extremely hot this year despite all the rain.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote