View Single Post
Old December 5, 2019   #41
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Are the tomatoes still going? When you say "did next to nothing" - did you get flowers and no fruit? Or just fruit that didn't make it to ripeness? I will say that I have had very poor luck with bigger beefsteak type tomatoes and tend to grow mostly salad size and smaller. I think the longer they sit there waiting to ripen, the more risk of damage, disease, and so forth.
I got started late and am just getting fruit on Rambling Stripe, Jochalos (a cute little microdwarf, so far the earliest to set fruit), Boetz, and still at the flowers stage on many others including the one (dwarf) beefsteak type I've planted, Dwarf Purple Reign. I have a few others starting for the second wave, in which Coastal Pride Orange, Shamrock, and Banksia Queen are the bigger beefsteak types.
Actually given the cooler weather they are looking a bit better, but far from normal. I'm sure setting tomatoes was an issue due to the heat, but blossom production was far below normal. I grow in Raised Beds as well as 10 gallon containers. Usually the RBs, nematodes and all, do better than the containers. Of course a few varieties I only grow in pots to avoid the nematodes, This season the containers out preformed the RBs, probably primarily due to having Brandywine Dark only in containers, In the Spring I will dump some varieties and try some different ones. New varieties, if they seed well, will include Grandeur F1, Neptun F1/OP?, Caiman F1. Also I have donated to UofF and hope to receive Garden Gem with nematode resistance, which I assume is F1. I questioned nematode resistance in Garden Gem and they told me to specifically request it and they had a nematode resistant version of Garden Gem that they would ship. Hope Springs Eternal Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by Zone9b; December 5, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote