View Single Post
Old August 15, 2018   #29
imp
Tomatovillian™

I'e used Round up wearing shorts and a tank top. But, it's not what you are wearing when using ANY pesticide, it's following the directions for use. Never a good idea to get drenched clothes from spraying when it is windy and then not immediately getting cleaned up and changed out of those clothes.

Any pesticide should not be sprayed in windy conditions. No pesticide organic or otherwise, is good to have your clothing soaked with and continue to wear them through out the day. Common sense seems to be gone often these days.

Besides getting soaked with the pesticide himself in this case, how much pesticide drift did he cause?

People are responsible for themselves in so far as reading and following the directions of any pesticide they are using, yet many do not.

I have empathy for this man and his family, and would not wish any cancer on anyone, it's a dreadful disease. In this case, I would think there is shared culpability though as he did not follow the directions and made the choice to wear those clothes that were soaked with round up.

Beings that he was doing this while employed means there should have been a - I forget what it is called- a data sheet that he should have been familiar with in a book with other data sheets for each chemical in use at that work place.

How many of us, read the directions and warnings each time we use something such as a fertilizer or chemical, organic or not, before we use it each time?

Doesn't take long to read it, but many don't.

I did and still do, because Rob was really a maniac about that stuff, the data sheets and such. I even have poison control number in my phone, just in case.

My point being is that anyone, any place, that uses any chemicals, organic or not, should read the directions and warnings & follow them as well each time.

How many threads have we had about neighbors spraying and chemical drift damages on this 1 site? That comes from a bad choice, not from the product it's self, but from the person spraying it while not following directions.

It seems every one loves to hate Monsanto, but all for profit companies are in business to make a profit; that is the end purpose, no matter the company, no matter the product or service. I don't think Monsanto loves me or is looking out for me, but I do think Monsanto does clearly list directions and warnings on their labels for Round up and if one makes the choice to not know those things or to use incorrectly, then the culpability shifts to the person making that choice.

At what point does the individual take responsibility for their own choices?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote