View Single Post
Old May 21, 2012   #1
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Default Trying to be successful, any help appreciated; Sub-Irrigated Planter, ET, &raised bed

Hi everyone, my name is Andrea. I have been lurking around the site for a little while.

I decided to plant some tomatoes this year. So I thought that I would do some research in hopes that I could be somewhat successful at it.

I got a few of my tomatoes from the local nursery:

Black Krim, Paul Robeson and Tomatillo (went back and got a second tomatillo, after research said i would next more than one. keeping fingers crossed)

I ordered my others through Laurel's Heirloom tomatoes:

Black Cherry, Carmello, Pink Brandywine and Big Zac

This all started with the Sub Irrigated Planter...

I saw the plans in my Family Handyman magazine. I thought that I was a pretty cool idea and decided to build one. Then that turned into, okay I will put tomato plants in it. That is where the madness began...

Now I have the Sub Irrigated Planter, two small raised cedar beds and one Earthtainer. OMG, the Earthtainer along cost around $122.00 to build. That thing is NOT cheap. UGH

So, I just want to make sure that I am doing what I should be doing...

Before Planting: I dipped that plants in a Biota Max, Actinovate, Mycogrow mixture. I drained off the remaing liquid from the pots. Once planted, I used the remaining mixture as a soil drench on each of the plants.

So all of the tomatoes except the Big Zac and tomatillos are in a soiless mixture.

Black Krim and Paul Robeson are in the Earthtainer: Planted 05/12/12
Dr. Earth Tomato, vegetable & Herb fert strip in the middle. mixed in the lime also.

Black Cherry, Pink Brandywine and Carmello are in the SIP: Planted 05/18/12
Dr. Earth Tomato, veg & herb ring around each plant. Also mixed in some EB Stone Sure Start about a week before planting. mixed in the lime also

Big Zac is in a small raised cedar bed (Top soil, mushroom compost). Also mixed in some EB Stone Sure Start and lime about a week before planting

I am trying to take the preventive approach to disease and bugs:

Does this sound right?

Disease spray: (Actinovate, Exel LG and Molasses) WEEKLY on Saturday's

Insect control: (started out as; Captain Jacks deadbug, just bought; bonide tomato and vegetable 3 in 1) BI-WEEKLY on Sunday's

Fertilizer: (Seaweed emulsion) MONTHLY on Wednesday's

I am still trying to work out the times of spraying. Evenings work best for me but I understand that could cause diseases...

Well I am open for any suggestions as I would like to have an abundance of tomatoes this year. (well what I can get from six plants)

Unfortunately, I am having some problems with Photobucket right now. I will post some pics a little later.

Thank you in advance!!!
Andrea

Last edited by Dork Fish; May 21, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Dork Fish is offline   Reply With Quote