Thread: Canning Season.
View Single Post
Old November 4, 2017   #394
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Okay, so what's the problem?? Looks good to me. Worth1, you are truly a man with a plethora of knowledge to share. I especially like the way you think outside the box.

You are awarded one gold star and one "Atta Boy" for this one. That's because it works. That configuration will make the user take extra care.
It makes me feel safer for sure.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
If it was me I think I'd use a nut and washer on the inside just to reinforce the lid. But I guess if it's a pipe tap you can't do that...

I still think of aluminum as weak, but then I look around at the AL vessels and tools I have. All intact.

Anyway, nice work.
Thank you too.
Yes you can do it with pipe threads and I would have to use an aluminum or brass washer and a brass nut I can make here at home.

All you would have to do is use the die and cut farther up the pipe any part of the pipe threads that come out the tail end of the die will be straight not tapered.
Then you make a brass homemade nut if you cant fine one the right size drill it out and run the tap in to the point it is is a tight fit.
Then make a large aluminum or brass washer on the lathe.
According to my calculations the lid is .200 thick the threads are 27 per inch 1/4 of one inch is .250.
27/4=6.75 -.050=6.25.
This means I have 6 threads holding that pipe on the canner lid if my crazy math is correct, more than enough and past the specks for this vessel and pipe size.
I didn't count the treads when the pipe was out.
The factory vent pipe is pipe threads.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote