View Single Post
Old February 3, 2017   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

hi charley
So... your goal is to select a PL GWR from this cross.
I think we're talking about 2 different recessives for color, besides the potato leaf.

Green when ripe is gf/gf (green flesh) and y/y yellow flesh
While the pink is -/- for green flesh and R/R red flesh
Skin color I'm assuming doesn't matter. - some will segregate clear skinned like the pink (1/4).

Your F1 hybrid has this combination: RL/pl gf/- R/y
So it will appear regular leaf and red.

If you backcross the F1 to Earl's Faux you will have a one in two chance of potato leaf in the backcross F1 instead of 1 in 4, but you will have a much harder time to recover the double recessive color traits you wanted. The backcross would only have a 1/4 chance of a single gf allele (which you can't see until it's doubled) and likewise for the yellow flesh, as red and "not green" are dominant.

I think you're better off just gathering seeds from your F1 and then grow a dozen plants (or more) of your F2 and look for any combination of two recessives black (or gwr), yellow, potato leaf to select seed from if you don't get lucky and find all three. You can grow 6 or more of those plants the next generation looking for all three recessives, or you could make a cross between two of your F2's with complementary traits as soon as you identify them, or you could grow both parents on the side and backcross the F2 selection with the necessary parent to improve your chances of all three recessives in a minimum number of plants..
bower is offline   Reply With Quote